Monday, October 20, 2014

Stepbrother Dearest - War, Penelope

New Adult, Contemporary, Angst, Fiction, Romance
Kindle: 232 pages


You're not supposed to want the one who torments you.

When my stepbrother, Elec, came to live with us my senior year, I wasn't prepared for how much of a jerk he'd be.

I hated that he took it out on me because he didn't want to be here.
I hated that he brought girls from our high school back to his room.
But what I hated the most was the unwanted way my body reacted to him.

At first, I thought all he had going for him were his rock-hard tattooed abs and chiseled face. But things started changing between us, and it all came to a head one night.

Then, just as quickly as he'd come into my life, he was gone back to California.

It had been years since I'd seen Elec.

When tragedy struck our family, I'd have to face him again.

And holy hell, the teenager who made me crazy was now a man that drove me insane.

I had a feeling my heart was about to get broken again.




This was a breath of fresh air from all of the other typical New Adult books that have been coming out lately. Sure there is a douchey, play boy hero but when we hear his side of the story as to why he does what he does it makes so much sense. He has solid reasons why he acts the way he does, unlike so many other NA heros who just act douchey because they think they are everything and gods among men. Sure the heroine may be a bit naive and a virgin, but she’s not whiney and weak like so many other heroines in NA. She holds her own, which is also a breath of fresh air.


We’re introduced to Greta, a seventeen year old young woman who is about to meet her stepbrother Elec for the first time. He’s coming from California because his mother had to go away on a business trip for a year.
Their first meeting didn’t go well at all. Greta had built up an image of what she imaged her new step brother to be like based on a picture she had seen of him. Boy was she wrong, he was the complete opposite of that photo. He tattoo’s, smoked, and had an all around horrible attitude. That didn’t put Greta off though, she wanted to try and get to know Elec better, befriend him is possible.

Elec did everything in his power to torment and tease Greta. He didn’t want anything to do with her, despite how much he may have wanted to. Despite the relentless teasing Greta and Elec eventually form a friendship and a bond that lasts a life time. He becomes the stepbrother that was bent on protecting his sister, which I thought was really sweet. He becomes passive of her, disapproving of the dates she goes on because he can’t stand to see her with anyone else.

They eventually reveal their feelings for each other have a sweet night together, but not before something drastic happens causing Elec to leave and go back to California. They are both heart broken at the fact they will be separated. Even though Elec hasn’t been with the family for very long they formed a very strong bond that would last until they met again seven years later.

Years later they meet again under less then ideal circumstances. They have both done their best to move on and forget the love they once shared. Elec has a beautiful girlfriend, and has gotten his life under control, having a stable job and apartment back in California. Greta lives in New York content with life and the job she has, but feels like she is missing something from her life.

That something would be Elec. I’ve read some reviews where people don’t understand why Greta still can’t get over the fact that Elec left her when they had such a deep connection. That’s the thing! They have a deep connection, such a deep bond that seven years down the road they still haven’t been able to fully move on from one another. [spoiler] Elec tries to go back for Greta at one point, but he see’s that she is with her fiancee and looks happy. [/spoiler] If better communication happened I feel like that could have been avoided.

There’s a lot of drama in the last portion of the book which had me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. It’s clear that even though seven years have passed there is still so much sexual tension between the two of them. They manage to not act on any of their feelings despite desperately wanting to.

The only thing I don’t understand is why reviewers are saying that there is cheating in the book. Because they only thing I saw that constituted as cheating was [spoiler] when Elec once again had to leave Greta to go back to his SO, he gives her a kiss goodbye at the airport. It’s not a chaste kiss, but more of a final kiss. Their final goodbye [/spoiler] That doesn’t constitute cheating in my book especially because Elec [spoiler] realizes he can’t live without Greta and breaks up with his girlfriend [/spoiler]

Everything wraps up wonderfully which made me happy. If there was ever another book about this couple I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it in a heart beat.





Overall I give it 4 little octopuses

No comments:

Post a Comment